Tuesday, May 8, 2007

My first week

Well I decided that I will write an email to you all and then I will just post it to the blog when Im done. Just because its easier to save it in gmail than anywhere else. Soooo many things have happened I dont even know where to start. Im sorry its taken me so long to write but internet access is a little difficult. There are some computers out where we are but they are really slow and they are for the students and I feel bad taking up their time.

So here goes nothing. The flight over here was actually not bad. I met up with two of the girls in Chicago and we were in London together. That was a great time...we had 8 hours to see the city so we just ran like crazy from place to place. The best part were the parks. We had lunch by a lake in Hyde park and then walked through the St.James park (I think that was the name) to get over to where Big Ben is. It was beautiful. The day was great. I actually didnt sleep at all on that plane ride so I was REALLY tired by the time I got on the flight to South AFrica. So I slept most of the way. We met up with the rest of the group at the airport in South Africa and all caught the flight to Mozambique together.

The first week has been absolutely crazy. Its not very organized, and we didnt really know what we were doing at first. Its more organized now. Elyssa and I are teaching English classes at a school called One World University. I am also teaching a class on Budgets (Mariah Iºm totally using the stuff I learned in your relief society lesson!!) Their knowledge is so basic. Its actually a university, they are studying to get their bachelors degrees, but their learning level is just at a completely different place.

I dont have a lot of time so I just want to tell you some of my favorite things so far. The people are beautiful!! ANd they are so nice. I love it. And the singing and the drum playing. Its just amazing. And the artwork and everything that is going on. Its just amazing and Iºm so happy to be here. Iºll try to write more later and send pictures but I have to run. We are at an internet cafe and my time is running out. We went to the beach today...good times. Very different from what I thought it would be, but good

Love you all,
Becca

6 comments:

Lisa said...

Becs, You sound like you're having an awesome time! I am so excited for you. Hey I have a blog now too if you want, or have time, you can look at it...aaroncarlingfam.blogspot.com. Keep in touch and POST SOME PICTURES! we all know that's really the only reason we do these things is to show off and look at pictures! Love, Lisa

Harold and Sheri Fam said...

I am so happy for you and I'm glad that the nervousness of the unknown is past so you can really enjoy your time. Pictures would be nice but I understand the time element on the computer so just whenever you can. We continue to pray for you and wish you the best. Bryson is going to Florida for the summer to work for Carl and so we will feel real empty. Love Dad

Joe Haynie said...

What a great adventure! I'd love to serve in Africa at some point in my life. Don't know when or how, but...someday. I'd love to see photos. Be safe and let them feel your love as much as you're feeling theirs.

Kita said...

Oh mulher! Ate que enfim noticias tuas. Estava preocupada.
Que inveja...quero tanto conhecer Africa (o meu pai trabalhou em Angola durante algum tempo qdo eu era pequenina).Um dia iremos, de certeza.
A Carolina esta' feliz que as aulas terminam daqui a 2 semanas :) A Joana cada vez mais fala Portingles, mas continua gira, gira.Diz que o nome dela e' Tic-Tac Joana ;) Por causa da novela Floribella...
Aproveita bem o tempo, porque apesar de nao teres 'agua nas torneiras, a 'agua que vais "beber" dessa experiencia vai marcar-te para sempre e fazer de ti uma pessoa ainda mais bonita.
Beijinhos de todos.

Unknown said...

Do you know how cool you are? I don't think you do, but I just looked at your pictures and got sooo jealous! How many of those little kids can you fit in your suitcase? I want at least 3... sound good? Fantastic! Much love to you! Kendra!

Lily said...

Happy Mother's Day! We are so pleased you are having such a great summer! See if you can get the Mitt Romney vote in Mozambique...America is counting on you...!?! Mitt says you can work in the White House instead of Deloitte...We look forward to seeing you in DC and hearing all about your adventures.